Thursday 31 January 2019

Polar Vortex

I'm not a meteorologist, but I don't think the polar vortex has come over as far as Wales. However, we woke up to the coldest morning of winter yet. No snow, but the frost hasn't lifted all day. I had to bucket warm water to all the lambing ewes, chickens, dogs and horses. Even the little birds got some warm water in their bird bath. Dehydration can be a big problem in the cold, for livestock and wild animals alike.

Motivated by the cold weather, I spent a few hours restocking our wood piles. The boys log it and bring it back to our already crammed full barn. I use the log splitter on the back of the tractor to split it-



If you don't know, a hydraulic log splitter is almost as luxurious as a lambing barn. No swinging an axe, no problems with tough gnarly logs either. The axe head is pushed down by hydraulic, tractor-driven force and pops open even stubborn wood. And it has safety measures so you don't pop your fingers off your hands.

With a good audiobook in my ears and a mug of hot chocolate, it is one of the more rewarding jobs. Definitely better than hauling buckets of water, that's for sure.

The underkeepers' cottage is heated solely by wood, so the boys go through quite a bit over winter. You can always see smoke chuffing out of their chimney. Mike and I have a log burner in the living room, but we also had a Rayburn put in last year.



It burns solid fuel, so wood or coal. It has two hotplates on top, a hot oven for cooking and a lukewarm oven, which farmers' wives traditionally used for warming up hypothermic lambs. I used mine last winter when a ewe delivered an unplanned lamb in weather much like this-


He survived and had a sister.


It's only a second hand one that came out of an estate cottage, when they upgraded to oil heating, but it has been a godsend. It's in the sunroom which was previously uninhabitable after October. She's like another member of the family, so we gave her a name: Bernie.

I can leave a kettle on the hot plate, and there's always hot water for tea (or defrosting troughs). If you put the hotplate covers down, you can warm your folded pyjamas on top, so they're toasty when you put them on. A bottle of red wine can be warmed up for drinking if you stand it on the corner of Bernie. And a sheepskin in front of the Rayburn is a dog magnet -

Send more sheepskins!!

Mike just checked the weather update, and it seems that we're expecting snow overnight. The milkman seems to agree - he brought tomorrow's milk delivery this evening as snowy lanes would be treacherous for him in his milk van. Tomorrow is the last day of shooting season,  but inclement weather may stop the day. I'm not sure the dogs will mind much if I keep Bernie full of wood.  And the milk's arrived so, with a hot chocolate at the ready, neither will I.

11 comments:

Sara Rall said...

I was so excited this afternoon to see you've posted again. I missed your first of 2019 but went back to it. I really enjoy your blog and have missed you over the year; so glad you're back at it!

Kristin W. said...

I finally learned how to use the ‘big’ tractor this past year. It was like a dream come true! I haven’t used any of the attachments yet but I think that will happen this spring. We moved last year to a fishing lodge, which is pretty similar to gamekeepers except we share a house during fishing season with all the guides. Oh. And without all the extra work of hatching birds, raising and training dogs, cooking meals. You know. JUST the same as what you and Mike do! We toned back the homesteading for now since we all live in close quarters to each other, including the guests. It has certain charms though. Like being able to use the tractor. Even the owner of the lodge laughs and considers it ‘Kristin’s’ tractor. LOL.

The polar vortex certainly hit Upstate NY. Schools were canceled. Businesses didn’t open, but we’re expecting a warm up here soon.

I like that you named the stove Bernie. Who knew one stove could do so much?!?

I can’t wait to read the next post! Soooo glad you’re back. I just starting reading the posts from 2011 because I’m not weird or anything and live vicariously through you. Not at all.

Joe Skorupa said...

It's great to have you back. Good to hear you and yours are well.

Hazel said...

I missed your first post back too, but so pleased to find two posts in a row, I've missed your blog!

I'm interested to see how your dairy sheep experiment goes- milking sheep is something I've always liked the idea of. There's a farm quite near us with Zwartbles sheep...

We have a second hand solid fuel Rayburn and love it too- ours is called Nelly :-)

Bag End Gardener said...

I thought of you this morning when I was trying to get through one inch of ice which has formed on all our ponds overnight. Difficult to get water for the birds and I thought of you and all the farmers who have got to get water to livestock.

Bernie looks fabulous, your In-house Trip Hazards are doing a fine job of guarding her (because Rayburns are well known for getting up and running outside to play . . . )

How's lambing going?

The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

I too enjoy reading your blog and peaking into your world over there. Congrats on the lambing barn!! I bet it feels heaven sent during the cold spells. So smart to stagger the births too. Hope your polar vortex is not nearly as bad as the one we had here. Keep on blogging, and yes please do write a post on the story of your little hairy burrito. She looks like she may rule all the indoor four-leggeds.

Mrs Shoes said...

Polar vortex... well, here in the heart of Canada, polar is an every day word lately. It was -50 degrees celcius on Wednesday... which makes me seriously wonder wth I'm doing here when I've lived in much friendlier Canadian climes.

Jennifer Montero said...

KW - there's something empowering about being able to drive the big tractor. It opens up new possibilities for self-sufficiency when you get the confidence to use implements to help you get on with jobs (and save your back!)

Jennifer Montero said...

Hazel - Zwartbles are considered a milking breed here too but I know so little about them. I need to consider giving up my Dorsets as they are such a BIG breed to work with, but I love my flock and the work I've put into them. However, when my joints ache, those tiny Shetland sheep look reeeeally appealing. And god don't you just love Rayburns?!? Give Nelly a pat from me.

Bag End Gardener said...

Sorry, me again. I had noticed a new fur-babe in your last photo and have just scrolled down the side of your blog and read the Current Canine Hall of Fame. Miss Betty - poor little love, will be interesting to see how she takes to living in a working pack. Do you have any idea of her age or what might have happened to her?

Janice Bendixen said...

Jenn — Our version of a Rayburn is a Seaton woodburning boiler. It’s 4 ft x 4 ft and heats 7,000 sq ft of airplane hangar, garage, boiler room and house (upstairs). She’s voracious in our cold Alaska winters and daunting when I open her up to add wood — usually about every four hours. (Translate: I sleep in shifts.) But it saves us loads of $$$ since we can’t get natural gas and I have GREAT arms! Congratulations on your well-deserved home improvements. — Janice in Alaska