Monday 23 May 2016

The Vermin Paradox

There are still more posts to come describing different methods of controlling vermin. This is a brief interlude to demonstrate the irrational behaviour of human beings.

We (farmers, fishermen, gamekeepers) consider the Canada goose a pest. Under General License Canada geese can be killed any time of year if they are destroying crops. It's spring and the vulnerable first shoots of maize and wheat crops are coming up. Later when barley and wheat are ready to harvest, 50 geese can eat up to an acre a day (so one on-line source says).

So why am I standing in my kitchen, typing this blog post, with a Canada goose gosling keeping warm in my armpit, in a makeshift baby sling?


Why am I caring for a bird that will grow up to become a "pest"?

Because babies are babies, I couldn't leave an orphan to die of cold and hunger, and because, well, just because. Everything, pest or not, deserves a chance to be, I guess.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a softie!
barb

Janice Bendixen said...

In my family (who kills and eats beings like Canada geese and other wild animals), we call that the "Janice is a pushover" dichotomy. We leave the sprinkler on for the moose calves, even though we'll harvest the adults as soon as they're legal to kill. We foster baby squirrels, only to kill them as adults to keep them away from the bird feeders. I agree: it makes no sense but apparently life doesn't need to make sense. I guess it's much like raising goat kids and lambs that we know are headed for Ice Camp. We don't need to make sense. We just be, and be hungry. You pushover... :-)

Paula said...

It could always grow up and become 'dinner', and not a pest....

Fran in Aus said...

Yep, completely understand. I suspect it's innate in females of any species.

17th stitch said...

Love it!

Jennifer Montero said...

I've been thinking about this a lot. I think Janice is right that we care for nature as part of harvesting nature. I care for my lambs and goatlings knowing I will eat them, but I take great pleasure in watching them act out their natural behaviours while growing up. A chance to exist is all any of us can ask. We have since acquired 3 more goslings - from the same haphazard mother - and they live with some late hatching pheasants in the underkeeper's shed. They are all thriving together, and will be released to their own devices when old enough.

Janice Bendixen said...

Alaska Native cultures teach that one must honor and respect Nature in order to benefit and survive from said. So I say here's to not overthinking things and enjoying the babies and cycle of life! And a good moose burger on the bbq with friends. I wonder what Canada Geese eggs taste like? Seagull eggs are excellent in cakes... Would love to see updated photos of your orphaned bounty, Jenn. :-)