Thursday 23 May 2019

May Jobs

Just a quick post to show you why I'm a bit slow with the updates.

I'm lambing again, just a few ewes put to Horned ram for replacement stock. It's slow going but we've had a few born-

The maternity ward

Ewe 101 and her twins, a ewe and ram lamb

The highlight was Grumpy ewe - she popped out her usual giant single lamb but it was a ewe lamb! Finally!!

Miss Grumpette

Time will tell if she inherits her mother's personality. I'm not sure I can handle a second grumpy in the flock.

The pheasants are hatching every Tuesday-


We hatched over 8,000 this week. Mike and I take turns delivering the chicks all around the UK, so Tuesdays are very long days, at least for another couple of months.

My garden took a hit during the last storm. I lost some seedlings and have had to start over with my beans. The plants are slow to get going but the weeds are out of control already. The weed cover does great job suppressing any weeds underneath, but also creates a slug haven, and I lost my pumpkin and yellow squash seedlings overnight to the beasts. I'm going to put in a few hours this afternoon and try to turn the tide in my favour, and get round two of my seedlings outdoors.

Otherwise, it's business as usual: rescuing swan chicks that fall down the cattle grids -





Cutting stuck goats out of the fence -


You know, just the usual stuff.

I have bought a new Poll Dorset ram which I will collect tomorrow. He's coming from Stratford-upon-Avon so he might get called Shakespeare. I've also bought some Icelandic sheep, inspired after a day out at a Wool festival. I will pick those up when they're finished lambing . Only a few, to add a bit of colour to my flock and my knitting projects.

This week there's still lambs to vaccinate, ewes to trim, shearers to organise, dogs to train, squirrels to trap, and possibly more deer to butcher (I did two at lunchtime yesterday).

I'm feeling my age and what I really want is a nap.

I'd better go tackle the garden now before it's nothing but nettles.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need an useful intern! I would love to see your knitting projects
KJ

Sara Rall said...

I always enjoy your updates, and especially the baby animals. Have you tried diatomaceous earth for the slugs?

Jennifer Montero said...

KJ - A nap & a useful intern. Now we're talking!

Sara - I use DE for the chickens. I will take your advice and try it on the slugs when I replant today. Thanks!

Cottontailfarm said...

oh my goodness, I LOVE when you post! Right now I'm fussing over a broody hen hatching chicks, six so far! I'm going to post a video shortly.
I can't imagine that many living things to take care of... it must be bliss to be in the birthing/hatching season for you. I know there are hardships too but, wow, that many new lives is something to be thankful for.

Bag End Gardener said...

Internship! Now there's a thought - relatively flat surface and a cold water tap are all my campervan and & I need {grin}.

And I'm not afraid of hard work, although perhaps if I was I would have done myself less harm over the years creating my own garden :-)

Slugs - I find broken eggshells very helpful sprinkled around 'at risk' plants, and let's face it - you have a heck of a supply of shells. Following this up with a good spray of garlic solution every 2 or 3 weeks seems to do the trick.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of the swan chicks... look up "Bad Parenting, Ducks"

KJ

Jennifer Montero said...

KJ - That is EXACTLY what happened. I passed the swans walking towards the lake while I was going to feed sheep. Just before I went on to the goats, my brain reminded me that there was a cattle grid in the swans' path. So I checked and sure enough...bad parenting!