Monday 7 December 2020

Good News Update

I know I've been quiet on this site recently. With lockdown, not much new has been happening that I can share, until now.

I've bought a smallholding!


The sale was agreed months ago but the final paperwork took four months to complete. That's just the timescale in these days of Covid. I didn't want to tell you, in case it all fell though. But today I picked up the keys. It's officially mine, bought and paid for.



My farming friend Donna helped me to find it, and even negotiated a great price for me (something I am completely rubbish at doing). She brought the celebratory prosecco today, which we drank out of jam jars on the hood of my truck. Her daughter sent me the welsh coaster, a present that they had picked out for Mike at a Christmas fair last year. It's fitting that it is now in our home.

The house is small; it's an old Welsh stone cottage on the side of a mountain in Wales. I only have 3 acres of my own and a few stables and workshops, but I hope to find more ground to rent so that I can keep more sheep. I've had to trim my flock to fit for now. But a dozen sheep, four goats, and both horses are catered for. And of course the dogs.

It's old and solid, but needs some updating inside so it will be a few months before I can move in while the electrics are updated and some walls moved upstairs, and a bit of decorating updated. I hope I'll be in by April as I'm expecting lambs and baby goats by then. And now I have dry stables to lamb in, and a goat house to kid in. Luxury!

After living in tied and rented accommodation for the past 20 years, the mental relief of knowing that no one can show up at your door and tell you that you have to move is priceless. I feel like I can start to put effort and investment into my home and my small farm business. 

So, I've reached a new chapter in this blog. A hugely sad one without Mike, but I've now bought the farm that we both wanted to own together. It's an exciting step forward.

Until then, I'm staying safe from Covid, working on the pheasant shoot, and managing the house renovations over the next few months. Happy holidays to you all.

19 comments:

Kathy said...

So lovely to hear that you'll soon be settled in your own place. I've followed your blog for years, with all the ups and downs, and I feel as if I know you a bit. Your life is very different from mine, but I so admire your ability to work through whatever comes your way. You have great stick-to-it-ive-ness and a generous heart. I wish you well in your new home.

Poppypatchwork said...

Perfect good news in a sh*tty year, can wait to here your next chapter.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! This is fantastic news! I am so happy for you! Wishing again, that I was closer so I could lent a hand moving. I'll be there in spirit!

KJ

Peter said...

Great news! Glad to hear from you again. Stay safe and Happy Holidays.
Cheers Peter

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new home. I totally agree there is nothing like the security this brings.3 acres is huge. May you be happy and at peace this holiday. Barb H.

Cate said...

I'm so glad to see your good news! I'm sorry Mike isn't there, and I'm very impressed by your strength! Best wishes - I hope you will be very happy.

Janice Bendixen said...

Oh Jenn! This is the best news! I'm excited to see photos as your renovations progress. Congratulations on earning your very own home!! I remember that wonderful feeling. I sold my darling little house in Anchorage, Alaska when Ralph and I married and I moved to "the Valley." I still miss my house but the sale proceeds financed paving nearly an acre of previously gravel (read: DUST producing) yard. I'm certain that Mike is very proud of you. I'm sending blessings to you for a Happy Christmas and a better New Year. Good riddance, 2020! I'm praying that 2021 will better for all of us. Loving, happy thoughts from Janice in Alaska

Anonymous said...

Owning property makes you feel legit! Hope its a wonderful home for you

Anonymous said...

Yay! I’m so happy for you (and the dogs, horses, sheep.... :-) Thank you for sharing your (fabulous!) news!

Maddie

Kris said...

Good tidings indeed!! So happy for you, Jenn. Many challenges ahead, but ones that you'll take on gladly for the sake of ownership and solid roots. Wishing you the best at the end of this year and a brighter, saner New Year. Kris

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you. It makes a huge difference in owning your own place. Hopefully, the renovations will go smoothly and you can move in before lambing season.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
KJ

Anonymous said...

Marvelous news! All the best with your new venture. I hope you and your fur family are as happy as pigs in mud in the new place.

Katie said...

Congratulations! I'm happy for you!

Wendy said...

Happy New Year Sweetpea.
Congratulations on the new small holding.
Sending you lots of love from us all (Wendy, Louise and Bruce) xXx

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear your good news. I am absolutely sure that you will create something great on your 3 acres and you can keep the benefits of your labour, as you deserve to.
All my very best wishes for 2021 - a very Happy New year!
J.P.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news Jen!
I'm hoping the weather is treating you kind so you can deal with your renos with ease.
All the best for your future and thanks for sharing xx.
Bren

Kristin said...

Good news on the home front! Congratulations and I'm looking forward to reading more.

Pam said...

Jennifer, you may remember me from the library days, & Preston Grove, and then on to Dorset....Pam? I have dipped into your blog occasionally over the years, and just today read your sad news about Mike, and your happy news about your own smallholding, all in one go, so my heart goes out to you for your loss, and at the same time I’m thrilled for you that you have your own little piece of this earth. Love and all best wishes to you, Pam.