Saturday 20 April 2013

Puppies' First Trip Out

Podge and her Podgelets went to the vets for a check-up.


The vet pronounced the puppies in good heath, and he docked (shortened) their tails in the surgery. This lessens the problem of very waggy tails on little busy spaniel bottoms, which would otherwise bang against their sides and cause injury when excited, out working in the field.

We take off just the last third, so the dogs still have enough tail for balance and to communicate with other dogs. A lot gets said between dogs based on tail position and how it wags.

Podge tells me a lot with her eyes, too-


In this case, her eyes tell me that she's experiencing the oxytocin rush associated with motherhood.

A loved-up spaniel and a basket of puppies made us very popular at the vets this morning.

At home now, puppies safely cocooned

7 comments:

Maria said...

Unspeakably cute! glad the vet pronounced them all in good health - and look, you've got some sun as well!!! at last!

Tamar@StarvingofftheLand said...

I have two things to say about this. 1) Mazel Tov! and 2) Puppies!

BilboWaggins said...

That looks says to me "bwwaaaa, you've got my babies, give 'em back !!!"

Frogdancer said...

I used to breed Cavaliers... many years ago before children. This was a little trip down memory lane for me!

jeanfromcornwall said...

So glad you have been able to get them properly docked - our Magic Spaniel had plenty of tail left, and was able to speak volumes with it. It would have been a whole other story if it had been left complete - the burrs and briars would have been a torment to her.

Colette said...

So just how much time would you say puppy gazing takes up? Sme may call it time wasteing I like to think of it as erm..... Re-adjustment of time management. (Sorry for typos but it won't let me go back to change it!!)

Unknown said...

All I can say is, the puppies are adorable but I keep looking at Podge. Those eyes speak volumes. What a beautiful, happy mom!