Thursday 6 August 2009

Milkweed and teasel both grew in the back yard of my childhood home in Western Massachusetts. Every year I waited for the milkweed pods to ripen in order to extract their silk & seeds. The pods inevitably had googly-eyes glued to them in a childish attempt to craft a mouse or owl - favorite animals of 70s kids. Teasels were ALWAYS mice. Our neighbour Mrs Beals was my idol as she produced teasel mice in padded calico dresses, for me the pinnacle of creativity (nevermind my own mother handsewing all our clothes and embroidering every ornament on our christmas tree)

I'm still obsessed with nature now - the architecture of dried seed heads, the companionship of woodland plants while each occupying its own niche, the overnight appearance of fungus & animal tracks. I've changed my whole life's direction in order to spend it being a part of what I love: the animals & plants I rely on - not just for food but for company, inspiration, and overall contentment.

I suppose this is as good a place to start as any.

No comments: