I just heard from the land agent that the sellers have accepted our offer. We had to pony up a bit more than I wanted but it's still in our means. Just.
I feel slightly sick to my stomach, turning all our ready monies into assets which we hope will show a decent return on investment, both as land and as a return on crops like hay, pigs, and sheep. Mike is confident and forward-thinking about this kind of thing, moreso than me. I get mired in familiarity. But we both agree it's a reasonable risk to take.
I won't count my proverbial chickens until all the paperwork is signed off and the deed handed over. As this is England, we are vulnerable to being 'gazumped'. It's a practice peculiar to England (I think it's illegal in Scotland) and very unsettling to any home- or landbuyer. At any point in this process up until everything's signed, the sellers can pull out and sell to another buyer if they're offered more money. As this bit of land hadn't even been listed (i.e. made public that it was for sale) and in less than 24 hours we were one of two buyers, we are holding our breath that we won't be gazumped. We're paying market price, but I'm sure there are others willing to pay above market without even blinking, like relocated Londoners who want grazing for a daugher's beloved but retired pony. We can't compete with city money.
But we could get lucky.