Sunday 21 February 2010

Sunday

At the moment, the lambs are still sleeping in the kennel where they're safe from predators and where there's a heat lamp to keep the chill out. During the day they're coming out onto the grass to get some sun and to watch the world go by. They're keen to follow me as it's nearly lunchtime -


Who needs a sheepdog?




And when it's time to go back to their kennel for dinner, they are just as happy to oblige -


And then the clean up crew moves in to tidy any leftover lamb pellets -


Everyone's happy.

While the animals were feasting, Mike and I went to the clay shooting ground. Mike mounted and fired his gun for the first time since our accident. These are the tools of his trade and he's been worried he won't be able to employ them to any effect, and afraid the recoil would aggravate his shoulder.

He tried the 20 bore and the semi-auto. He's not mounting a gun as well as he used to yet and it took its toll on his shoulder. But it's a first step. I can fill the vermin shooting gap (along with others) until he's better. It will just take a bit of time.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Love the pics. Those are some happy looking lambs. Good luck on the 10 acres!

Colette said...

That is so fantastic. Pass on my best to Mike. Small steps and all that.

Now all you need is a crook (although by the time they are big enough for that they wisll come to the whistle I am sure!

Paula said...

Ohmygosh! That first picture was better'n puppies.

Jennifer Montero said...

Thanks Sara - I'm looking forward to the first crop of fleece from these girls. You know you're going to have to endure more knitted gifts so if you've got a preference for a particular item, let me know.

Colette - I'm tempted to see if I can get one to work on a shoot day...

Paula - Except puppies aren't headbutting the backs of your knees looking for milk!

Maria said...

Isn't gazumping just the most insane set-up ever? (speaking as raised-in-Spain girl who had to learn about the UK system too). I was gazumped in my pursuit to buy a house, although not by city money, just by other money!
Fingers crossed for you, I hope it all goes through on the 10 acres.